Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mommy <3

I've always loved my mom, I've always thought she was so cool. We've had our bad moments, but I've always been a mommas girl, and most likely always will be.
And today, it just proved to me once again how great she is.


We went to go get me re-evaluated for ADHD, and my mom sat in with me while the lady was asking me questions.

"What do you and your parents fight about?
"Do you ever get depressed?"
"What are your hobbies?"

Easy questions, answered in a snap. Then...

"Have you ever tried pot, Hilary?"

How do I get out of that? I, and many other high schoolers, have. But that's not something I want to admit in front of my mom. But just like that, my mom is cool with it. "It's okay honey, go ahead. I know you have."

I sort of fidget, and say, "....maybe once or twice....but I didn't like it." Then I look at my mom and say, "I mean that mom. I really didn't like it." and she just nods and looks at me like it's fine.

"Have you ever drank alcohol, Hilary?"

Again, stop asking me these things in front of my mom! But before I can speak, my mom goes again. "Yes, she has. I know she has. One time, she made this video for a friend where she took a swig of rum...blah blah" and just like that, she's fine with it. Nothing in her tone of voice that's bad. No looks at me like, "we're having a talk later" or "I can't believe you". Just total casualness.

And then, "last question like this, Hilary. Have you ever smoked a cigarette?"

I just make a retching noise and stick out my tongue. And my mom laughs and says, "I'm sure she has haha. Everyone her age has at some point, I'm sure."

This whole time, she has a nice, easy, good hearted tone. She knows I've smoked, she knows I've drank, and is fine with it. No anger, no resentment, and the biggest relief of all, no disappointment. Don't get me wrong, my mom would definitely be pissed off if she caught me doing any of that stuff red handed. She's not one of those trashy, irresponsible moms who let their kids go out and get wasted. She's a good mommy.
But I'm so, so glad, that she was cool with hearing all that. On the drive home, it didn't get mentioned once. There wasn't a bad vibe in the air, just neither of us mentioned it. Like she just got over it. It feels like a wall between us got knocked down, and I'm so relieved ♥

ps. After that, she took me to Borders and got me two new books. And then took me home and cut me up some watermelon :]]] See? Great mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment